Friday, January 25, 2013

Space Heaters for those with Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity

    I found two brands of space heaters that have worked really well for me and I thought I would write a post on this topic. I have Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity (EHS), and devices with an electric motor seem to emit a lot of electromagnetic radiation. For example, blenders, vacuum cleaners, and the electric motors in hybrid cars cause me significant discomfort. The fan in forced air space heaters is powered by an electric motor, and I do not tolerate those types of heaters very well. I do better with radiant heaters. The following two heaters worked well for me:

1. Honeywell baseboard heater (model number: HZ-519):



2. Optimus H-5210 Infrared Quartz Radiant Heater:


  
     I also have chemical sensitivity, and I could tolerate both types of heaters. However, I did turn the heaters on in the garage for a time until they gassed off sufficiently. The Honeywell heaters gassed off more quickly than the Optimus heater. We purchased five Honeywell heaters and one suddenly stopped working one day when the breaker tripped, so that heater no longer works. We have not had any problems with the Optimus heater.
    I have had to rely on electric heaters because I have chemical sensitivity and cannot tolerate our natural gas heating system. The natural gas also triggers my arthritis symptoms. A friend of ours who has EHS and chemical sensitivity recently installed some 220V ceramic glass heaters, but I am not sure which brand. Ceramic glass heaters are generally quite expensive, but are supposed to be good for those with chemical sensitivities. Also, to install a 220V heater, it would probably be necessary to hire an electrician.

UPDATE (05.18.13): We recently received a recall notice from Amazon.com for the Optimus heaters we purchased: "The heater design can fail to prevent ignition of nearby combustible materials that come in contact with the unit, posing a fire hazard." And, "The affected products were sold from October 2011 through December 2012 . . . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment